Subject: Re: /dev/wd
To: John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
From: Olaf Schroeder <olaf@digirule.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1996 16:22:39
At 05:00 PM 10/21/96 -0400, John D Duncan wrote:
>It's not whether wd is smart or not--newfs supports the bad144 standard
>of self-mapping bad sectors at format. The best way to handle this is
>to format the drive. As that seems a out of the question:) you should
>probably try to find the bad sectors and use /sbin/badsect to mark them.
>That is not as satisfactory, though, because bad sectors are stored
>in a file. But it should work. I'm not sure at the moment how to find
>exactly which sectors are bad.

I was thinking about this afterwards and thought it might be the
file system's job of marking bad sectors, not the device driver.
I tried /sbin/badsect and can't seem to get it to start up, it keeps
saying the device is busy (it's the /usr partition which is bad).
I've killed everything in sight but still can't get it to budge.
I guess I'm going to have to reformat... but when it comes down to
it seems newfs doesn't mark bad sectors on-the-fly, only at format
time. Sounds like a bad assumption to me...