Subject: Re: Installation from PC Partition
To: None <L3B3@unb.ca>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1996 17:05:56
>From: "Cam MacLeod" <L3B3@unb.ca>
>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:20:33 -0300
>
>Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a litle stumped.
>
>I'm attempting to install NetBSD to a partition from my primary PC (Win
>variants) partition.  My reading of the install docs indicates I need to
>dump it *all* onto floppies -- is there a way I can use the boot floppy
>(microkernel) to access my PC partition for the rest?

Boot the kernel-copy floppy, and install the install floppy when
prompted to do so.  Type Ctrl-C to escape the installation script when
it starts asking you questions.  You should get a root shell prompt.
Run disklabel on your DOS drive, e.g.:

# disklabel wd0

If disklabel reports a DOS partition, mount it and proceed as if you
were copying from floppies:

# mount -rt msdos /dev/wd0e /mnt

Then you should be able to copy the base12.aa, &c., files from your
DOS partition.

Hopefully this makes sense; I haven't used the install disks for a
long, long time.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>