Subject: Re: dsp device
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/11/1996 07:16:34
"John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>  wrote:
 > > > 1.  For various reasons, I needed something I wrote completely myself,
 > > > from scratch.
 >
 > > Well, then you've just guaranteed that the NetBSD ports collection
 > > will be forever divergent as we've far too much invested in ours to
 >
 > from scratch?  If it's not predestined to be the NetBSD standard, then it
 > can sink or swim on its own merits, but it's still something that I think
 > merits further elaboration.

I think John is correct. I've heard from enough people whose judgement
I trust, that the FreeBSD stuff is "good medicine" and I think it would
take a fair amount of justification to make a switch...  IIRC, someone
from NetBSD has already whacked on FreeBSD's ports stuff to make it
work with the various NetBSD architectures...

I suspect if someone stood forward and volunteered to manage this project,
they would get all the support they needed...

(usual personal disclaimers apply, blah blah blah blah).