Subject: Re: dsp device
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/1996 22:16:25
Hi Berndt,

> Do we have an index which lists all applications/utilities known to
> work on NetBSD? I would be willing to compile and maintain such a list
> if there is a need for it - any comments?

I'd say go for it, but I think this is a _huge_ task, as there are so many
applications out there. IMHO we need sth. like the FreeBSD people have.
If you check if an application runs, you usually make it run, but don't
provide the patches to other people, let alone to the developers of the
software. Thus a lot of 'porting' is done over and over again. I know that
this doesn't belong into the NetBSD source tree, but it should be kept
somewhere. I know we have a port-collection, but I am not sure how many
sites would be able to mirror it, if it grew bigger. But I also think
that we need a lot more people building packages and upload them to
ftp.netbsd.org. What do people think about the FreeBSD ports-collection,
which only keeps the diffs? Maybe we can keep both, the diffs in one
directory and the unchanged src in the other. Or create a CD with the unchanged
src?

  Guenther