Subject: Re: where is that interrupt coming from, anyway?
To: David Weaver <dweaver@cleaf.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/1996 10:30:23
> I have an internal Intel FaxModem that does the same thing whenever the
> tty device is closed.  So whenever a pppd or tip session ends, "stray
> interrupt 7" appears on the console.  However, I have determined that in
> this case it's harmless.  I have never lost data over this problem.
> If the message is only appearing upon opening or closing the device, I
> don't see much cause for worry.

Hmm, it may be only on opening and closing.  I used to use com3 and com4
heavily (Internet and printer, respectively), but it still took a while for
"stopped logging" to appear (which seems to come out after 5 stray interrupts).
The trouble is that I'd like to *use* IRQ7 for a soundcard, so that I can use
IRQ5 for com3 again (I *love* the PC architecture).  The odd thing is that this
only started a few months ago (unless the message is simply new), hence my
concern over hardware failure.

Sigh.  Anyone know of a reasonably priced multi-port board that lets its ports
share an interrupt?  Maybe its time to dust off the hardware manuals and design
an IOP...