Subject: Re: getting to msdos partitions on drive
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1996 21:04:22
> > I have found that when I mount my 1G MSDOS/Win95 partition, I can look
> > in the root directory, but nothing else, otherwise I get a kernel
> > panic 'allocbuf. buffer larger than MAXBSIZE requested', which is
> > kinda annoying. I think the ATAPI interface code may be doing this,
> > but I'll have to test it. Mounting DOS partitions works OK for the
> > 400meg partition on my 515meg drive tho :-/
>
> this is a well know problem. you just have to bumb a parameter in the
> kernel config. Dunno which it was though :-), but I am sure others
> will (Wolfgang? <- Thanx for the PowerPC port while i am here:-).

Sorry for the delay, but I was out of town for some days.

The parameter in question is MAXBSIZE, just as the panic message states :-).
You cannot change this with a config parameter, but have to change it in
sys/sys/param.h.  In order to make FAT partitions bigger than ~1GB work you
have to increase the current value of 16384 to (at least) 32768.

Note however, that increasing this value will increase the amount of virtual
memory that the kernel requires.  Since this is a limited resource, you
probably get some other panics, especially on machines with a lot of main
memory (>32MB?).  Now to fix this you have to increase another paramter
but this time it's me who keeps forgetting its name :-).  Probably there
are some implications of changing this one, too.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800