Subject: Re: getting to msdos partitions on drive
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/1996 13:34:48
"Perry E. Metzger" sez:
#
# "Daniel J. O'Connor" writes:
# > > I would like to be able to mount the MS-DOS stuff under NetBSD. The
# > > obvious thing to do seemed to be to set one of the partitions in the
# > > label to point to the MS-DOS partition. Unfortunately, I can't do
# > > that, since all my partitions (a-h) are in use. (a is root, b is swap,
# > > c and d I can't touch, e is an extra large /tmp, f is /var, g is /usr,
# > > and h is /u).
#
# > Umm, you can't then :)
#
# I know. I'm looking for a trick that doesn't require repartitioning --
# perhaps a pseudodevice or some such...

Bingo!  Perfect use for a CCD.  Even though you don't end up concatenating
from different disks, you can still make a CCD, and divide ccd0 into
multiple partitions.

Perhaps:

	wd0e, wd0f, wd0g, wd0h all become wd0e
	ccd0 = wd0e
	disklabel ccd0
	ccd0e:	/tmp
	ccd0f:	/var
	ccd0g:	/usr
	ccd0h:	/u

Now you have wd0f, wd0g and wd0h left over.

Yeah, I know it might be "dangerous" to put /usr there; but as long as
you can boot the root filesystem (and hang onto a generic kernel for
emergencies), there does exist /sbin/ccdconfig, so you can activate
the rest of the filesystems.  It might be kludgey but it would get
you what you need.

You'll need to concatenate at least two of the partitions and ccd them
in order to get one more device to use as a mount point.

#
# Perry