Subject: Re: Best Web Server Hardware?
To: D. Jay Newman <jay@qabalah.cac.psu.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1996 15:18:51
"D. Jay Newman" <jay@qabalah.cac.psu.edu> writes:

> I would like to be able put together a server running NetBSD 1386 for
> around $5,000-$7,000. This doesn't need to be able to have fancy graphics,
> but it have good i/o throughput, and good computational abilities (heavy
> CGI & database useage).

I have a P100 with 64M ram, 4G in SCSI disks, AHA 2940 controller, and a
PCI ethernet.  This runs a WWW server, and I never notice a delay, but my
site isn't hit all that hard.

Each file on my machine includes at least one other, and most do one exec
per page.

I would think a 64M machine with a P166, and the above setup would do a
pretty good job as a WWW server.

> Shows what happens when I make the mistake of writing the initial message
> while tired.

Or you get a collection of bored computer geeks (hello mlv :) on the list.
:)

--Michael