Subject: Re: weird messages keep popping up
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1996 23:04:56
Chris G Demetriou writes:

>My guess is that it's not your RAM.

	This is good to know, I think. :)

>[ the following may be completely useless. 8-]

	Maybe, maybe not, but very definitely thank you for taking the
time to think about it. :)

	You mentioned decrementing by 8k, in possible relation to some
disk code. Well, it happens that this one disk (IDE) I was beating on
rather a lot does in fact have 8k blocks; the other three drives (all SCSI,
a 340M scsi-1, 540M scsi-2, and zip drive) are all labeled for 4k blocks.
The IDE drive was the one that had the fsck errors last time.

>I looked in a few places for a count in that position which could have
>been modified (buffer and related structs, aha stuff, MI SCSI
>scsi_sfer, etc.), but didn't see anything there either...

	Again, thanks for your time. Do you, offhand, have any suggestions
as to what I might look for next time it crashes?

	It probably doesn't warrant much more attention, as this
motherboard is to be replaced very soon, and everything will be upgraded
to the latest -current at that time. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea
to just limp it thru (with frequent and multiple backups! :) until that
time and then re-evaluate what's breaking, if anything.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack
Database Programmer, Information Development for Extension Audiences (IDEA)