Subject: Re: AMD 586 dx4 133 support
To: <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/10/1996 19:29:31

>>This chip actually can do 160mhz if it says ADZ on it. You need to set the
>>jumpers for 40MHZ then the chip will do 160mhz. I have one of these it does
>>160mhz.

>And it won't, if it says ADW.  Don't bother.  I tried.  And I had my
>heat sink/fan glued on there real tight with heat sink compound. :-)
>Still, at 133MHz, it definitely gives me better performance in almost
>every test (never less, anyway, but sometimes close to the same) as my
>old 486DX2 80MHz.

To followup to my own post...  As I posted in another message...

On the other hand, in spite of the speed improvements, my simple
Pentium 120 blows the doors off my 5x86-133.  So, keep things in
perspective.  The 5x86 is a good cheap upgrade for an existing old 486
motherboard.

If you're going to buy new, definitely avoid the 5x86 (486) parts and
head straight for Pentium (or P6).  If you're on a really tight
budget, try to find a closeout-special on a Triton-1 board and a P100.
Even that will be way faster than a 5x86-133.

(My P120 is an Asus P55TP4N [Triton-1] board.)

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net