Subject: Re: msdos fs with win 95 long filenames -> panic
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, chammer@HRZ.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/1996 16:23:51
> Are there known problems with win95 style long filenames?
> A simple ls -l on the Dos partition halts my system..
>
> Error message is something like panic: allocbuf is greater than
> MAXBSIZE

Your msdosfs partition is probably larger than 1 GB. Anyway, the cluster
size of your msdosfs partition is 32 kB (it has to be that large for partitions
larger than 1 GB). Unfortunately, NetBSD currently supports only cluster sizes
up to 16 kB. The limiting factor is the (port-independent, anyone no why this
is in the generic code?) definition of MAXBSIZE as 16384. Changing this
definition in sys/sys/param.h might help, but almost certainly you have to
change some other definitions as well, as the larger buffer size will eat
into the kernel virtual memory space.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800