Subject: Re: UPS auto-shutdown in NetBSD?
To: Dan J. Fraser <dfraser@mother.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/1996 11:29:25
On Sun, 1 Sep 1996 19:59:48 -0400 (EDT)
 "Dan J. Fraser " <dfraser@mother.com> wrote:

 > I recently purchased an APC Back-UPS 400 for my NetBSD system.  I am
 > wondering if any automated shutdown software aready exists for NetBSD.

Hmm, I thought someone had written a UPS daemon for a particular flavor
of UPS ... I think it's fairly vendor dependent, though?

 > If none does exist, I plan on writing a very simple daemon based on
 > shutdown which will watch a tty for indications of the power fail, send
 > walls to the users on a system informing them of the power fail and the
 > impending shutdown...  And then calling a modified version of 'halt' which
 > will halt the system and tell the UPS to shut off power.
 >
 > Would you NetBSD experts agree that this is a reasonable method to handle
 > the UPS shutdown interface?

Sounds reasonable ... Make sure you send the UPS shutoff in time ... I
can see a nasty race condition between the call to reboot(2) and write(2) :-)

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --