Subject: Re: install could use some static binaries
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/1996 23:42:05
> >I can't really think of a good reason to put people into an editor in
> >the install process, however...
>
> Strange, I'd have thought a simple editor, with on-screen instructions
> such as Chris outlines,  would be a splendid way for  CoolInstall(tm)
> to let the user specify:
>
> 	0) size of each partition
> 	1) source of installation sets (ftp server, NFS pathname, local
> 	   pathname, whatever...)
> 	2) hostname
> 	3) IP address(es) and netmask(s)
> 	4) default gateway
> 	5) DNS servers
> 	6) mail hub, if selected.

I don't really define "a single-line editing field in a curses-based
form" (or similar situations) to be "an editor."

Why do you need to be in a general purpose editor (i.e. emacs, vi, ed)
to do any of those?

You shouldn't, and doing them is more strightforward if you aren't.
("oh damn, i just joined these two lines and converted the tag
to all upper case!  what do i do now?!")

cgd