Subject: Re: install could use some static binaries
To: None <explorer@flame.org, scottr@plexus.com>
From: James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/1996 09:26:56
Michael Graff sez:
# Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com> writes:
#
# > > If they changed
# > > disklabel to look for /bin/ed rather than /usr/bin/vi,
# >
# > You can do that from the command line:  EDITOR=/bin/ed; export EDITOR
#
# Would it be useful to have disklabel call /bin/ed if /usr/bin/vi can't be
# run?

Yes.  /usr/bin/vi is a dynamically linked executable which depends upon,
among other things, shared libs and a working TERMCAP/terminfo entry.
/bin/ed is statically linked and has no such dependencies.

According to my own [admittedly slightly elitist] POV, any systems
administrator worth his salt is going to know -- or be willing to learn --
how to use /bin/ed, because situations in which nothing else will
work do pop up, and more frequently than you might imagine.

#
# --Michael
#
You know, if you keep decrementing yourself like that, you're going to
end up with no value.  I'm more evil -- I continually decrement what
I point to :-).

				--*greywolf;
--
"Fortun--I say, fortunately, I keep my editors numbered for just such
 an emergency..."