Subject: Re: 100 mb eternet cards
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/1996 21:41:12
On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:58:40 GMT, tron@colwyn.owl.de (Matthias Scheler)
wrote:

>Andrew S. Clapp said:
>> What are the best 100 Mb eternet cards that work right now?

>I don't know which one is the best but my D-Link (DEC 21140 based) works
>without any problems. We reached a FTP speed of 3.4MB/sec between two P90s
>running with two these cards.

Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah!

We have SMC EtherPower 10/100s in p6-200s, and they can ftp at
7MByte/sec, and do UDP packet swapping right at 10MB/sec. So there! :-)

If I were to follow the questionable logic used in some other
comparisons lately, I would conclude from this that the SMC is a better
card than the D-Link (surely you don't think that the CPU being over
twice the speed could *possibly* have any effect on the outcome?? ;-)

Anyway, the SMCs work just fine, and are reasonably priced.

Laine Stump
Ascend Communications