Subject: Pointer to FAQ (or other help) required
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ralph Seichter <zodiac@darkness.gun.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/1996 19:22:46
I've been using NetBSD 1.1 for a couple of months on my Amiga 3000, quite
successfully. Now I also purchased a PC on which I installed the NetBSD 1.1
binaries found on the "Gateway! 2" CDROM. It was a rather painful process,
as I had to copy all the data on floppy disks, because I can neither access
my CDROM, my streamer nor an MS-DOS hard disk partition. The configuration
is as follows:

   Asus TP4N w/ Pentium 100, 32 MB RAM, IBM-DJAA-31700 EIDE hard disk,
   Funai E2650UA ATAPI CDROM drive, Conner Travan 800 MB IDE streamer.

I know that I should upgrade to SCSI as soon as possible, but there ought
to be some way to use this hardware (I really hope so). I got NetBSD up and
running, and I also found a FAQ describing the procedures to access my C:
MS-DOS partition. I can mount it, and I can use 'ls' to get a directory
listing. But as soon as I access a file (or a directory), I get a kernel
panic. BTW, when I use the floppy disk under NetBSD, I get lots of soft
read errors due to timing trouble. As for the CDROM drive, I guess I need
an ATAPI driver, but I don't know where to look for it. There's probably a
FAQ, but where?

Another problem is my Matrox Millenium. I know that I'll need a commercial
X-Server some day, but I'd like to use XFree first. I installed XFree, but
I can't figure out what XServer to use (some VGA server?) and how to set it
up properly.

If you know what I can do or if you can point me to a FAQ, *please* reply.
Thank you very much!
        _
     _ //
     \X/ Ralph
--
"It does not matter to 95% of the users, what the architecture is. It could
 be small elves driving eletrons like cattle for as far as I am concerned."