Subject: Re: poor performances on cyrix 6x86
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hotdog.ping.apana.org.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1996 18:38:04
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote

> >> Did you build the kernel with `options I586_CPU'?  If not, it will be
> >> used like a 486.  For normal applications, this won't make any
> >> noticable difference.
>
> It says right in the Cyrix FAQ (http://www.cyrix.com/) that certain
> OS' will probe the CPU as a 486.
>
> The last time I looked, there were no Pentium-specific features in the
> kernel.  If Charles had added some since then, I would expect them to
> have minimal impact.

>   Michael L. VanLoon                                 michaelv@HeadCandy.com
>         --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>         Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>     NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...
>
>    Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
>                   If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.

Just FYI:

I had the chance to run NetBSD-1.1-Release on a combination Octec
Rhino 9 / 512kB Cache and Cyrix 686-133 CPU. With a harddisk installed
which I took out of my terminal server the system booted
NetBSD-1.1-release and identified the CPU being a 486. Besides a few
messages about unknown vendor codes the System appeared to be fully
functional. Running dry (a dhryston benchmark utility) this system
scored 258000 dhrystones which IMHO is very respectable.

In case you like to test your system, the source code for dry is available on
ftp://ftp.ping.apana.org.au/pub/unix/dry.tar.gz

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@hotdog.apana.org.au