Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@sandra.owl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1996 23:15:44
JOCHEN BUEHLER said:
> <I personally have found Quantum drives to be ... rather reliable (I've
> <owned a 210, 1800 and 2100), ...

Quantum and reliable? ROTFL!

A Quantum 2100S died at "ftp.uni-stuttgart.de" after 3 month. We got a
replacement and what it died after exactly 3 month, again, great! We
bought a Quanutm 4.2GB Grand Pix but it made noise like a lawn mover
and never worked. So we purchased a Micropolis 1991 which works for over
a yeark 24 hours a day, 7 days a week connect to quite busy FTP server.
And the M1936 which was replaced by the 1991 works still fine after
being connected to two different FTP servers for over two years.

Of course those drives are large and not very sillent so they are not
well suited for home usage. But for home usage there are better choices
than Quantum. After I heard a friend's Atlas 2GB - his whole big tower
was vibrating - and heard of another one's heat problem with the same
drive type I decided to spend a little more money to get a IBM 2GB
harddisk which IMHO was a good choice.

The last reliable drive Quantum built was the LPS 52/105.

--
Matthias Scheler
tron@sandra.owl.de