Subject: Re: Printing problems, revisited
To: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/1996 11:13:50
In message <199605291944.VAA00207@petium.rhein.de>  Peter Simons wrote:
> Okay, I did a few additional tests. Printing under MS-DOS works fine
> as far as I can tell from trying a few pages, so it looks as it is
> definitely a software problem.
>
> I have configured my kernel as follows:
>
>  | lpt0	at isa? port 0x378 irq 7	# standard PC parallel ports
>
> These are the same settings the BIOS displays and that worked
> successful under MS-DOS. I have checked all other cards in the PC and
> there is no ID collision. The only other card, besides graphics, I
> have is a 3com, which lives at 0x300/irq 11.

I guess your BIOS configured the "Advanced printing mode" or something
like this. There is documentation for this somewhere on www.intel.com
(I don't have URL here) as part of a chipset documentation.
Basicly it redefines some bits in the io-register and adds DMA-capability
and FIFOs to the parallel port. Normally you can change this setting in the
BIOS-setup. Try disabling any advanced features for the LPT ports.
The *BSD drivers don't support this mode (yet).

Stefan

[...]

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270