Subject: Printing problems, revisited
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1996 21:44:09
Okay, I did a few additional tests. Printing under MS-DOS works fine
as far as I can tell from trying a few pages, so it looks as it is
definitely a software problem.

I have configured my kernel as follows:

 | lpt0	at isa? port 0x378 irq 7	# standard PC parallel ports

These are the same settings the BIOS displays and that worked
successful under MS-DOS. I have checked all other cards in the PC and
there is no ID collision. The only other card, besides graphics, I
have is a 3com, which lives at 0x300/irq 11.

When I access the printer under /dev/lpt0, the kernel complains:

 | /netbsd: lpt0 printer offline

The printers starts printing, though, but produces junk after half of
the piece of paper. All tests where done in grafics mode, printing a
ps file via ghostscript. And _yes_, I am sure I am using gs correctly.
:-)

I compiled another kernel, with the following settings:

 | lpt0	at isa? port 0x378		# standard PC parallel ports

to enable polling. lpt0 was gone then (device not configured), lpa0
had the same problem.

I have replaced the printer cable with another one, which works fine
on another PC, so I can rule a cable defect out, also.

When booting the machine with the printer switched off, I get a

 | /netbsd: lpt0 printer of out paper

message. Weird, eh?

I tried using a different address space and a different irq and could
not print at all, so the settings seem to be correct.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next, any hints are highly
appreciated!

	Sincerely, Peter