Subject: Re: I/O problems with GigaByte-586
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1996 13:09:23
Matthias Scheler wrote:

 > That's the normal behaviour for NetBSD unless the tty is set to local
 > in "/etc/ttys".

Oh, thanks. I'll try adding that. Currently the lines looks as
follows:

 | tty01	"/usr/sbin/pppd 19200 -detach"	modem 	on secure rtscts

 > > pppd refused to do anything on the serial interface until I called it with
 > > "local" as parameter.
 >
 > There was a bug in the pre 1.1 "pppd" which caused this behavior but it's
 > fixed in 1.1. What are the options you use to call "pppd"?

Well, I am using the 1.1 release version, so this bug shouldn't affect
me? I use the following /etc/ppp/options file:

 | local
 | crtscts
 | defaultroute
 | mru 296
 | lock
 | lcp-echo-interval 10
 | lcp-echo-failure 3

which works at the moment, even though I have the feeling that DTR is
not always lowered, when pppd terminates.

 > Sounds like a missconfigured IRQ to me. I experienced the same problem
 > after I updated my BIOS and lpt0 had suddenly another IRQ.

Any hints how I can find out where the parallel port lives? The BIOS
setup shows exactly the values I have configured into the kernel, but
some peope have already mentioned that the BIOS is usually of little
interest. :-)

	-peter