Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1996 23:40:27
> I just blew away my NetBSD-current to try FreeBSD-2.2-960501-SNAP. It certain
ly
> installed very simply although the disk editor didn't want to do A(utomatic)
> options on a 600Mb sub-split of my IDE which is a bit odd, and SNAP doesn't
> have enough backlinks in the ftp area to install any packages (which is also
> a bit odd because its like 20 symlinks and a script to make all 2.1 packages
> viable under 2.2-SNAP names)

I don't want to turn this into a FreeBSD related exchange in
port-i386, so please follow-up (if you do) to me personally with the
answers to the following questions:

1. How did A(uto) mode fail, exactly?  I use it all the time and haven't
   seen any particular weirdness, but if there is then I'd certainly like
   to know about it.

2. What do you mean by "SNAP doesn't have enough backlinks?"  Looking
   on ftp.freebsd.org, I certainly see everything you need to install
   any of the FreeBSD 2.2 packages (and I've done this myself).  Again,
   if there's a genuine bug here then I'd like to know about it.

> but the driver makes the same mistake about byteswapped vendor labels and
> the probe delay on the second IDE is just terrible. Shame FreeBSD, shame.

31 seconds is mandated by the IDE spec, sadly enough, and delaying for
less than this amount of time _has_ failed to find various diseased
IDE components on people's systems.  Since they're well within the
spec to wait 30.9 seconds if they wish, we're the ones in the wrong if
we punt out early.

> its smashing, and I found driving manual dial very easy. Once you want
> to go live however, I rather like pppd/chat interaction and would prefer
> this dialogue-based PPP to get out of the way. The runtime config is messy
> as all heck.

You don't need to use the user-mode ppp features if you just like your
standard chat-driven pppd.  Use pppd, just as you would with NetBSD!

					Jordan