Subject: Re: com driver troubles on NetBSD/i386
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/1996 08:37:56
On Fri, 24 May 1996, Jukka Marin wrote:

> This message was not intended to be a flame.  I just don't like the idea
> of ignoring better working code only because there happens to be a system
> where the same code doesn't work.

But this is one of the tradeoffs of using NetBSD in the first place.
NetBSD makes proper multi-platform support a priority over fixes
for individual machines (as the lack of i386/ISA bounce buffer for
so long demonstrates). FreeBSD is probably a better choice if you
are using the 386 architecture and want to see that optimised, even
at the cost of introducing incompatabilities with other architectures.

However, that aside, it seems to me that since NetBSD has working
code for the serial driver at one point, it should be able to be
made to work again without adverse effects. My old 486/66 running
1.0 had no problem running 57600 on a serial port without dropping
characters. And heck, even my Sun 3/60 can do 38400 (though if a
lot of data comes through everything else tends to stop :-)).

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.