Subject: Re: Does anybody have a 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy-only system?
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/24/1996 13:53:06
> I'm curious to know if there are any PC NetBSD users out there who have
> systems that only contain 5 1/4" 1.2 Mb floppy drives; i.e., they have no
> 3 1/2" 1.44 Mb floppy drive.

While I have both kinds of floppy on my system, the 5.25 is the one which is
bootable unless I dork around with cables.  (Which, perhaps, I might as well
do, since it has now been years since I had to reinstall MS-DOS 5 from the
distribution floppies.)  However, I suspect that there are many systems
cabled similarly, making that not necessarily a friendly change to make.
(On the other hand, Microsoft, the folks who put the "backward" in "backward
compatible" :-), have apparently abandoned 5.25-only people since NT has to
boot from a 3.5" drive...)