Subject: problems with ie0 driver under 1.1 (i386)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 07:58:00
When receiving large amounts of uninterupted data from my 3C507 network card
such as during unprompted FTP mgets or rrestore, the following error messages
are generated by the ie driver at random but fairly frequent intervals:

	"ie0: receive descriptors out of sync at {n}"
	"ie0: TDR detected an open {n} clocks away"
	"ie0: receiver not ready"

I also occationally get "ie0: too many collisions".  The hardware used is a
486DX100 Mitac with 16MB RAM and an IDE drive (not my idea :-).  I first
encountered the error messages when copying over the installation sets via
FTP and dismissed them as a symptom of our overloaded network, but yesterday
afternoon they proved to indicate a more serious problem.  During rrestore,
the messages appeared with increasing frequency as the restore progressed
and then the machine would freeze.  After five such rrestore attempts, I lucked
out and the next one ran to completion despite the slew of error messages.

I am thinking that this problem is related to the IDE drive because the
error message frequency seemed to increase as the amount of disk activity
needed to store the incoming data increased.  In any case, is this a known
problem?  If so, are there any solutions/work-arounds?  An 83% failure rate
for rrestores is pretty horrid.  I can understand the driver dropping packets
if the IDE controler is (ab)using the CPU, but I do not understand why the
driver can lock the system.  Any input would be appreciated.

Max