Subject: Re: major lossage with ahc driver (pci)
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: James Michael Chacon <jmc@hedgehog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 02:06:47

>My guess is that Ultra mode was enabled in SCSI-Select and that you were
>hitting a sync rate setting that doesn't work in Ultra mode.  I received a
>few other reports similar to yours, and the patch I committed to FreeBSD
>this morning seems to solve the problem.  Both Noriyuki Soda and Charles
>Hannum have received this patch for review and inclusion in NetBSD-current.

Ok, I did some testing on my setup here which has a normally perfectly
working ahc driver.

I had disabled wide negotiation for all my drives and ultra clocking is off.

Enabling wide negotiation (the default for all devices) causes the ahc
driver to hang on each drive, reset the card a couple of times, timeout
and then finally die with messages about the card being dead.

Turning off wide negotiation for those drives but turning on ultra clocking
(which I till need when I buy a ultra wide barracuda soon), the driver
loses yet again with similiar messages but actaully managed to boot. Problem
is, that it lost one my drives and didn't even find it on the probe. Yet again,
then major lossage.

Turning off ultra mode in SCSI-select simply isn't an option for me soon
since I'll have a drive that could possibly use it. And since it's not
a per target option (except I can set max sync rate on each target) that
bites hard.

Anyways, the point being I shouldn't have to go messing with scsi-select
options simply to use this card/driver. The driver should be able to handle
whatever settings the card currently has, and it's a real pain each
time I move drives around or add them to have to go in and disable wide
negotiation.

Since this setup boots fine under Dos/window NT/etc I know it's possible
to probe the drives and such with wide negotiation turned on for everything
and ultra clocking on.

I went ahead and reset the card back to wide turned off for my targets and
no ultra clocking so I can use the machine. If there's anything I can
do to help test out changes, lemme know.

James