Subject: Re: Serial changes 1.1-current
To: John F. Woods <jfw@funhouse.com>
From: Operator <oper@mikrobitti.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/1996 10:28:55
An old topic..

> > Hasn't this been tagged as a interrupt issue between the com driver and
> > the wd ide driver?  Could everyone with this problem confirm or deny that
> > they're using IDE drives?
>
> I have occasional silo overflows on my 486/33 running PPP at 38.4, and
> I wouldn't allow an IDE drive in the house, much less deign to actually
> USE one...

I have a 120 MHz pentium and I get massive overruns using 16550 UARTs
and PPP.  Accessing the IDE drive doesn't seem to make things worse,
but I think the 3com509 Ethernet card has more effect on the problem.

Anyway, I just couldn't connect modems to 16550 serial cards because
of the overruns.  I'm now using a Cyclades card which is trying to do
real hardware handshaking (but causes overruns every now and then
even still).

I would very much like to see a fix ASAP.

  -jm