Subject: Re: config file line for Hayes ESP?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1996 11:02:03
>Date: Sat, 18 May 96 23:09:55 EDT
>From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
>
>I just found a Hayes ESP card I bought quite some time ago.  It's a single
>port ESP, marked "V2.1".  It has only one jumper, presumably for the ESP
>base address, which is set to "soft".  I recall software-configuring the card
>to COM3 the last time I played with it.
>
>I threw it in my machine, and it was detected on com2 as a 16550a.  I looked
>at com.c a bit, and tried turning on the COM_HAYESP option; still no dice.
>
>What do I need to put in the config file to get this card working with the HW
>flow control and larger FIFO?

The ESP uses two I/O ranges.  One is mapped to one of the usual COMx:
ranges, and looks like a 16550A.  The other is mapped elsewhere, and
controls ESP-specific features.  The com driver probes for ESP cards
by looking for the ESP-specific I/O range at a few fixed locations;
those locations are contained in an array (I forget the name)
somewhere in com.c.  If your ESP card is set up such that its
ESP-specific I/O range is located somewhere other than the com driver
looks for it, then the com driver will think that it's a regular
16550A.  UTSL to find the specific locations.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>