Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1996 15:26:51
In message <199605201809.LAA15551@toccata.fugue.com>  Ted Lemon wrote:

> It's been several months since I took out the AHA-2940 controller, and
> I don't remember the exact message, but my recollection is that it was
> a timeout talking to the controller, not a bug running out of SCBs
> (unless that manifests itself as a timeout).

There is a bug in timeout handling (easiely fixed by increasing the timeouts),
which produces this error when your drive has read-errors and retrys or
repairing the data (using the ECC code on the disk) takes too long.
I had the same problems with a sequest-drive and a bad media.
I don't know if the timeot handling is fixed in newer releases.
If I remember correct, the unexpected reconnect from the drive after the timeout
kills the system.

I would start worrying about the data on the disk if I were you ...

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270