Subject: Re: config file line for Hayes ESP?
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 22:37:12
>Thor> I just found a Hayes ESP card I bought quite some time ago.
[...]
>Thor> What do I need to put in the config file to get this card
>Thor> working with the HW flow control and larger FIFO?

>	While the insides of this card may be fancy, if memory serves,
>it looks just like a 16550 to software.  It simply manages to never
>fill the FIFO due to it's better logic.  I thought that the actual ESP
>cards were 4 ports and more...

Actually, that's how it works if you don't enable the special features
in the com driver.  When you do so, you basically just set much larger
lo-water and hi-water marks for the receive FIFO (512 and 768 chars),
and send in much larger chunks (up to 1024 bytes).

The one-port cards are geniune Hayes ESP cards.  I've never actually
seen a four-port card, though I almost bought a two-port.

If you're curious, look in /sys/dev/isa/com.c, for all the "#ifdef
COM_HAYESP"'s.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.