Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: James Michael Chacon <jmc@hedgehog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 11:31:43
>> I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. The converse could also be true
>> as well here, you're unlucky with the particular set of hardware you've got,
>> and my otherwise normal setup (by far the most common I've seen) does just
>> fine. People need to, and if they're in the position of buying hardware
>> need to hear both sides of this issue.
>
>People need real information that they can use to avoid losing.   If
>we were all Marketroids here, sure, we'd want to say only good things
>about the product.   But we're not marketroids, and we're not trying
>to sell product - we're trying to help people to succeed using the
>product.   Honesty is the best policy.

Yes, and that's why I brought up my case. without telling people it
does work is hurting them also since it'll scare people from
even attempting to use something which as you admit below you haven't
even yourself tried in months.

If people are all scared away from using a specific card/hardware combo,
then who's gonna report bugs against it? If no one uses something because
it's buggy then it's kinda hard to debug and fix the problems....And
by not being honest and telling people that *today* it works fine for me
with a fairly typical setup ( 3 different vendors of disk drives and cdrom
attached to a 2940UW) I'd being doing them a disservice as well.

>> Since your description (locks up solid) wasn't real specific, is this
>> the running out of SCB's bug? If so, that doesn't even directly relate
>> to the ahc driver itself and is more of a MI scsi problem.
>
>It's been several months since I took out the AHA-2940 controller, and
>I don't remember the exact message, but my recollection is that it was
>a timeout talking to the controller, not a bug running out of SCBs
>(unless that manifests itself as a timeout).

I'm not trying to come across as peeved here, but telling someone
"I used it months ago and it was buggy so don't get it" isn't exactly
doing them any good. I'll agree, there are bugs in the driver more than
likely still, but there are bugs in a lot of the kernel code in general...

James