Subject: Re: doscmd-19960502 vs. /dev/vga?
To: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@defender.vas.viewlogic.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 19:07:35
> To which Charles Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu> sez:
>
>    It's not clear to me why you think `-X' does anything useful.  If you
>    look in the man page, you'll see that `-x' is the option to run in an
>    X window.  (`-X' is for testing purposes only, and does something
>    completely different.)
>
> Well, doesn't that go against the POLA (Principle Of Least Astonishment)?

requiring any argument whatsoever to invoke 'x mode' is against the
Principle of Least Astonishment...

Consider emacs and many X programs: if DISPLAY is set and you give no
special options, it uses X.  You need to give a special option to
disable X.

No, if it's going to do something 'weird', i don't see any reason why
-x is more or less weird than -X...  in either case you have to RTFM
to figure out how to do it the first time, and if you goof it up it's
then your fault...

chris