Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: James Michael Chacon <jmc@hedgehog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 10:12:13

>> This is with 3 scsi drives and cdrom hanging off of it. I run all the
>> standard accounting plus all my daily stuff (sup, mail, etc) so I know the
>> disks get a good pounding during various portions of the day. This
>> is with both the older ahc driver and the newer one Charles just committed.
>
>If you never had problems with it, the reason is probably that your
>disk drives weren't tickling the bug.   It's unfortunately not very
>interesting when somebody reports that they're not having trouble with
>a piece of hardware with which other people are having trouble - all
>it really means is that you're lucky, not that the driver's reliable.

I see...So we should only tell people that's stuff broken? i.e. if it works
fine for 80% of the people out there, but no one replys that it works and
people only see "it's broke" mail, then it really doesn't matter how
many people it works for since all they see is failures.....

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. The converse could also be true
as well here, you're unlucky with the particular set of hardware you've got,
and my otherwise normal setup (by far the most common I've seen) does just
fine. People need to, and if they're in the position of buying hardware
need to hear both sides of this issue.

>David Brownlee apparently *was* having trouble with the old driver and
>is not having trouble with the new, though, which is encouraging.
>When I install 1.2 on my production server, I'll see if the Adaptec
>controller works any better for

Since your description (locks up solid) wasn't real specific, is this
the running out of SCB's bug? If so, that doesn't even directly relate
to the ahc driver itself and is more of a MI scsi problem.

James