Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: None <jmc@pobox.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 11:53:12
> I'm not trying to come across as peeved here, but telling someone
> "I used it months ago and it was buggy so don't get it" isn't exactly
> doing them any good. I'll agree, there are bugs in the driver more than
> likely still, but there are bugs in a lot of the kernel code in general...

There are lots of reasons not to by Adaptec products.  Unless they
have finally relented and started releasing their technical
documentation without requiring people to sign NDAs, I think it's
entirely reasonable to recommend somebody else's product instead.

Also, the point of this exercise is to get a fellow NetBSDer running
on hardware that works.   If I have reason to believe that it doesn't
work, it's appropriate for me to report that.

Finally, bear in mind that 1.2 is not yet out.  The problems I had
were on NetBSD 1.1.  Unless our friend is planning to run -current, he
will be running exactly the same software I am running.  Since he's
planning on buying a hardware configuration that's virtually identical
to the one I was using when I had the problem, I felt that my input
might have some relevance, and indeed perhaps more than yours, since
you didn't tell us what hardware you're running on - the glitch is
almost certainly timing-related, and so would appear on some
configurations and not on others.

Anyway, several people have pointed out that there's a revised
AHA-2940 driver, and that it's available for NetBSD 1.1 as well as
being in -current.   I'll be installing it on my system and trying it
out, and I'll report back with the results.

			       _MelloN_