Subject: Re: VM_Faults
To: None <michaelv@HeadCandy.com, soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 21:37:20
> >If this means following problem
> >	ahc0: Can't malloc SCB
> >	sd2: not queued, error 5
> >BusLogic driver also has same problem, and IMHO, this is not driver problem,
> >but MI SCSI problem.
>
> I was not aware that this was a general problem with all SCSI
> adapters.  I had never heard of it happening on other cards.  Is this
> a new problem?

No, this problem seems to exist since first Julian's import.

> What does it take to trigger it?

Sudden excessive simultaneous multiple scsi device access, when
free physical memory shortage.

The key is free physical memory shortage and simultaneous multiple
scsi device access.

> I've certainly never seen anything like that happen on my BT747.
> Am I just not pushing it hard enough?

I think so.
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group