Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 10:33:11
On Sun, 19 May 1996, Ted Lemon wrote:

> >   What sort of problems should I expect to have with the Adaptec?  My
> > Adaptec 1542 has treated me so well that I hate to leave Adaptec.
> > Just to make certain, there is no way to use the 1542 in this Pentium
> > machine with more than 16M?
>
> My Adaptec controller, which is a 2940, has a tendency to lock my
> system up during periods of intense I/O.   For example, the nightly
> file system checks.   I would expect the 2940W to behave the same way
> - I believe the chipset is identical.

	I also had a fileserver running with a 2940 (& two SCSI-2 disks).
	For about a month my system had a mean uptime of under five days,
	then I changed to Noriyuki Soda's <soda@sra.co.jp> port of the
	FreeBSD driver (apologies for being unable to recall the FreeBSD
	author :), and the machine has been rock solid since. (Until
	friday when a disk failed, but thats just my luck.

	I'm pretty sure the driver has been pulled into -current, (though
	with a small teething problem :), so you should see it in 1.2...

		YMMV (but mine was good :)

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

  System Manager, Southern Studios, Box 59, London N22 1AR. +44 181 888 8949

  http://www.mono.org   ---<Monochrome>---   (** Largest UK Internet BBS **)
  http://www.netbsd.org  __/ Free Un*x on alpha,amiga,arm32,atari,hp300,i386
  http://www.openbsd.org   \ mac,mvme68k,pc532,pica,pmax,sparc,sun3,vax,x68k