Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: James Michael Chacon <jmc@hedgehog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 02:45:37
>>   What sort of problems should I expect to have with the Adaptec?  My
>> Adaptec 1542 has treated me so well that I hate to leave Adaptec.
>> Just to make certain, there is no way to use the 1542 in this Pentium
>> machine with more than 16M?
>
>My Adaptec controller, which is a 2940, has a tendency to lock my
>system up during periods of intense I/O.   For example, the nightly
>file system checks.   I would expect the 2940W to behave the same way
>- I believe the chipset is identical.

I've got a 2940UW I've been using for 2 weeks now. Haven't had any problems
with it at all.

This is with 3 scsi drives and cdrom hanging off of it. I run all the
standard accounting plus all my daily stuff (sup, mail, etc) so I know the
disks get a good pounding during various portions of the day. This
is with both the older ahc driver and the newer one Charles just committed.

James