Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1996 19:55:43
In message <199605192238.PAA12186@toccata.fugue.com>, mellon@fugue.com writes:

>>   Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide PCI
>
>Adaptec support isn't as solid as I'd like it to be - I've stopped
>using my Adaptec controller.  You might consider a Buslogic
>controller...   I'm using the ASUS SC200 NCR controller, but it's not
>perfect either.   Sigh.
>
>>   ASUS 133 Mhz Pentium pipeline (exact model unknown) motherboard
>
>I'm running an ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4-XE, and am pretty happy with it.
>Unfortunately, it doesn't support parity or ECC.   There is another
>ASUS board that does support it, and I recommend buying that if you
>can afford the price difference on memory and the motherboard.   I ran
>into trouble with a set of 60ns memory chips for my system and had to
>swap in a different set - if you need an excuse, that's why I
>recommend ECC.

  With the chance of showing my lack of knowledge of pc hardware, if I
got the motherboard that supports ECC I would have to get parity memory
and could not get EDO ram, correct?  Sounds like the old problem of more
speed at the cost of reliability.

>The NCR SCSI BIOS won't cause trouble with the Adaptec - it's only
>used if you install an NCR controller card.   I ran with an Adaptec in
>my system for several months before giving up and going back to the
>NCR.

  What sort of problems should I expect to have with the Adaptec?  My
Adaptec 1542 has treated me so well that I hate to leave Adaptec.
Just to make certain, there is no way to use the 1542 in this Pentium
machine with more than 16M?

  Thanks for all the help... while I was hopping to order tomorrow I may
have to do a little more research now.

---
Kent Vander Velden
graphix@iastate.edu