Subject: Re: remapping 384k
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1996 17:59:38
VaX#n8 wrote:

> I have a vague recollection of MS-DOS being able to reclaim this memory
> area by mapping it to the top of existing physical memory, making it
> appear as though you had 16MB + 384k or whatever.  I don't recall if this is
> due to software or hardware.

This is a function of the chipset, which would be enabled via the BIOS.
Typically under "Advanced Chipset Settings" or something.  The only
thing to watch out for, is that if you have a 16MB machine, and enable
remapping, you now have 16MB +384K, so you now have to worry about the
ISA DMA issue!  Unfortunate, when we're only talking about 384K.. :)

> Is this memory hole going unused in NetBSD?

AFAIK, NetBSD would use the memory if the chipset was remapping it.  It
would look just like normal extended memory.

-Andrew