Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: None <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1996 15:38:58
>   Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide PCI

Adaptec support isn't as solid as I'd like it to be - I've stopped
using my Adaptec controller.  You might consider a Buslogic
controller...   I'm using the ASUS SC200 NCR controller, but it's not
perfect either.   Sigh.

>   ASUS 133 Mhz Pentium pipeline (exact model unknown) motherboard

I'm running an ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4-XE, and am pretty happy with it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't support parity or ECC.   There is another
ASUS board that does support it, and I recommend buying that if you
can afford the price difference on memory and the motherboard.   I ran
into trouble with a set of 60ns memory chips for my system and had to
swap in a different set - if you need an excuse, that's why I
recommend ECC.

The NCR SCSI BIOS won't cause trouble with the Adaptec - it's only
used if you install an NCR controller card.   I ran with an Adaptec in
my system for several months before giving up and going back to the
NCR.

			       _MelloN_