Subject: Re: AMD or Cyrix?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1996 02:12:00
Jason Thorpe writes:
>NetBSD works pretty well on AMD chips ... Cyrix chips, however, are kind
>of quirky...at least the 486 chips:

That is wrong regarding the 486 chips.

Cyrix 486DX chips work just fine.  At least the three Cx486DX2 I'm
forced to use work flawlessly (apart from the kernel erroneously
probing them as 486DLCs, that is.)

The following code, however, deals with features of the 486DLC chips
(which are replacements for the i386) that depend on hardware support
required on the cpu board with the kernel not probing for the presence
of said hardware support.  I admit that the kernel can't relibably probe
for the presence of said support, but that's no excuse for jumping to
conclusions.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.