Subject: Re: Motif for NetBSD-1.x?
To: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
From: Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/1996 08:57:51
On Mon, 13 May 1996, Matthew B. Wood wrote:

> I went looking myself a while back.  Here's some info I found just now
> though skimming through AltaVista:

> [general SWiM ad, found lots of places]
>
> SWiM Motif Development Kit
> Motif developers won't want to miss SWiM, a port of the latest OSF
> Motif code to Linux, BSD/386, FreeBSD, Coherent, and NetBSD: it's
> the complete Motif runtime and development environment. SWiM is
> from GUI Corporation and is available from the two authorised
> distributors: ACC Corp info@acc-corp.com in North America, and
> Lasermoon info@lasermoon.co.uk in Europe.
> [From: http://www.aldea.com/yellowpages/ads/sequoia.html]
>
> SWiM 1.2.3
>
> For: BSD/386 * COHERENT * LINUX * FREEBSD *
> NETBSD

Yes, this is the SWiM product that I bought a couple of years ago for
NetBSD-0.9.  Still have it too.  As I said I was very happy with this
product but the problem is that NetBSD did not support shared libs at
that time and SWiM did not ship with them.  I'd really like it if I
didn't have to link Motif apps statically.  There's only so much disk
space in the world :-).

Another problem is that I keep hearing about some nasty gotchas in
Motif-1.2.4 WRT X11R6, though I don't know exactly what they are.  Anyone?

> A complete window manager and development system based on OSF/Motif
> 2.0. SWiM is available for the following operating systems:
>
>      Linux 1.1.18 (onwards) with XFree2.x and XFree3.x Slackware
>      Professional 2.0 was used as the development platform.
>      BSD/386 (BSDI) 1.x and 2.x
>      FreeBSD 1.0.2 / 1.1 / 2.x
>      NetBSD 1.x

A search of the web produced these results for me too.  Unfortunately,
a trip to the lasermoon home page reveals information on all the listed
platforms except NetBSD.  I have my doubts about the existence of such
a product.  I have contacted them (lasermoon) via email but have not yet
recieved a reply.

> ...so it would seem there's something out there.  If anyone acts on any
> of this I'd be interested to hear about it, too.  So please post it to
> the list!

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Garth.