Subject: Re: Motif for NetBSD-1.x?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@sandra.owl.de>
From: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/13/1996 20:21:43
> Garth Corral said:
> >     I know this has been discussed previously in this group but I don't
> > seem to recall a definitive answer on this.  Does anyone sell a version
> > of Motif 2.0 for NetBSD-1.x/XFree86-3.1.x?
>
> Obviously not. I even contacted X-Inside via e-mail and all they said
> was something like "maybe in the future". :-(
>
> If anybody had more success I would like to know it.
>
> --
> Matthias Scheler
> tron@sandra.owl.de

I went looking myself a while back.  Here's some info I found just now
though skimming through AltaVista:

[general SWiM ad, found lots of places]

SWiM Motif Development Kit
Motif developers won't want to miss SWiM, a port of the latest OSF
Motif code to Linux, BSD/386, FreeBSD, Coherent, and NetBSD: it's
the complete Motif runtime and development environment. SWiM is
from GUI Corporation and is available from the two authorised
distributors: ACC Corp info@acc-corp.com in North America, and
Lasermoon info@lasermoon.co.uk in Europe.
[From: http://www.aldea.com/yellowpages/ads/sequoia.html]

SWiM 1.2.3

For: BSD/386 * COHERENT * LINUX * FREEBSD *
NETBSD

BASED ON OSF/MOTIF

Complete runtime and development for $149.95

INCLUDES:

     Window Manager (mwm)
     Header and Include files
     Source Code to OSF/Motif Demos
     Static libraries (libXm, libMrm, libUtil)
     Complete On-Line Manual Pages
     Complete OSF/Motif User Guide
[From: http://www.lasermoon.co.uk/lasermoon.catalogue.en/guis/swim-2.0.html]

Is SWiM Motif?

Yes, and no. Although SWiM has been complied from the genuine OSF Motif
source tree, it cannot be called Motif as the right to use the name Motif
whenmarketing the OSF's code is extremely expensive and has not been
purchased.  SWiM has been compliled directly from the OSF Motif Source
Code and is a 100% compatible product.

A complete window manager and development system based on OSF/Motif
2.0. SWiM is available for the following operating systems:

     Linux 1.1.18 (onwards) with XFree2.x and XFree3.x Slackware
     Professional 2.0 was used as the development platform.
     BSD/386 (BSDI) 1.x and 2.x
     FreeBSD 1.0.2 / 1.1 / 2.x
     NetBSD 1.x
[From: http://www.on-the-net.com/cgi-bin/otn/acc-test/mvcart2/5122/alist.html]

Commercial Software Applications, Tools and
     Utilities

     A1000 - Accelerated X *New Low Price*
     A1008A - dB MAN - Multi-user - single CPU
     A1008 - dB MAN - Single User
     A1020 - FLAGSHIP, a dBase and Clipper Compiler for Linux
     A1011 - JustLogic SQL Database Manager:Client Server
     A1014 - JustLogic SQL Database Manager:Standalone
     A1088 - NExS, the Network Extensible Spreadsheet for Unix & Linux
     A1010 - Quick Basic for Unix (Linux)
     A1003 - RDB, from REVOLUTIONARY SOFTWARE
     A1099 - SlickEdit, the leading programmer's editor now on Linux.
     SW1002 - SWiM 1.2.4 for BSD/386 1.1 (OSF/Motif)
     SW1004 - SWiM 1.2.4 for Coherent 4.2 (OSF/Motif)
     SW1001 - SWiM 1.2.4 for FreeBSD
     SW1000 - SWiM 1.2.4 for Linux (OSF/Motif)
     SW1003 - SWiM 1.2.4 for NetBSD
     SW1013 - SWiM 2.0 for FreeBSD
     SW1006 - SWiM 2.0 for Linux

...so it would seem there's something out there.  If anyone acts on any
of this I'd be interested to hear about it, too.  So please post it to
the list!

I'll investigate when the cash stops ebbing and begins flowing again....

--
Matthew B. Wood                                               mbwood@netcom.com

  "Hello, Hello Kitty", said Tuxedo Sam.
  A voice answered back, louder than a thousand rock concerts, with words
which seemed to stretch from pole to pole, from the lowest hell to the
highest heaven: "I AM HELLO KITTY, DESTROYER OF WORLDS!"