Subject: Adding memory causes problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@lust.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/1996 16:28:45
I just bought a couple of 8M SIMMs (at ~$9/M *grin*), but I am having
problems using them with NetBSD-current.  After the kernel starts up, I
get: panic: ptdi lae023

So I figured that my BIOS wasn't handing the extended memory correctly, so
I recompiled a kernel with "EXTMEM_SIZE=31744", but it also panics.
31744 kB is the amount of extended memory reported both by the BIOS setup
program and NetBSD's boot program.  I've tested all of the SIMMs, and
there doesn't appear to be any problems.  I can boot up NetBSD with
either set, but not all four.  However, I can use Windoze95 with all 32M
(small consolation :)

My system:

Dell Dimension XPS-P133c & Dell (AMI) BIOS A05
32M memory (4 2x32x60ns SIMMs - 2 EDO & 2 FPM in separate banks)
NetBSD-current (SUPped as of last night)

Am I missing something here?  Should I be specifying other than "31744"
for EXTMEM_SIZE, or is there something else I can do to get this working?

Jeff Thieleke