Subject: Re: Wow! serial working at full speed!?!
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/1996 09:20:21

>Kent>   Are these patches in the -current tree?  I just resupped and
>Kent> am still experiencing the problems of silo and dropped
>Kent> characters.

>	I don't know who else has these patches, but I was led to
>believe that they were basically an old (or other) serial driver.
>My sources are not-quite-current, but I don't believe that they are
>against the current tree.

	Well there is a problem (at least on one of my machines and on one
of Kent's machines) where characters are lost left and right for no apparent
reason. My solution to that was to revert to version 1.61 of com.c (patching
it so it fits into the newer ISA attach structure). If someone wants these
patched files (dev/isa/com.c, dev/isa/comreg.h), let me know.

	But there is also the other problem where bytes get dropped because
the tty buffer is full; the patches that help those significantly were
suggested (and used by) Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>:

> sys/kern/tty.c: change 3 clalloc()s in ttymalloc() to 4k.
> sys/sys/tty.h: change TTYHOG to 4k.

	I haven't personally tested them, as my two fast machines don't seem
to have a problem; however, I do have a 386/33 that I will probably be
converting to a NetBSD PPP router in five weeks, and will probably test
it at that time.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group