Subject: Re: hardware/software for playing MOD-files?
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Jack Patton <jpatton@net20.intserv.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/1996 12:47:19
On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I'm about to buy a PC for NetBSD, and one of the things i'd like to do is
> > playing MOD-files. :) Now i don't really know about PC-hardware, and i'd like
>
> I don't know if it compiles against the NetBSD sound driver, but over
> in FreeBSD land we use a couple of utilities called gmod and tracker.
> gmod works only for the Gravis Ultrasound and produces a better
> translation of the mod files than tracker, though tracker works on all
> the sound cards we support.

I have managed to beat tracker into compiling (after swiping the
soundcard.h file from my friend's linux system and a little fiddling).
However, I am having trouble making the proper devices to get tracker to
work right. I had to make two devices, /dev/dsp (42,16) and
/dev/sequencer (42,16).
I took the major device number based upon the major number for my audio and
mixer devices. It seems that if I don't have the minor of the dsp device set
to 16, tracker reports 'error opening audio device'
When I do have the dsp minor set at 16, I get an 'error setting sample size'
BTW, this is all being attempted on a NetBSD-1.0A system...