Subject: Re: Re: serial changes 1.1-current
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Onno van der Linden <onno@simplex.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/1996 15:10:00
From: "Phil Knaack" <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu> wrote:
> 	And, I used to run PPP across a room to my roommate's 486sx/25 from
> a 386sx/25 running Linux, and easily pushed 38.4k. (No FIFO's on either end.)
> As soon as I switched to NetBSD, silo overflows crashed the link regularly.
> (I know, really cheap network, you get what you pay for, but college
> students do that sort of thing.)

Here we go in this deja vu discussion.

Did zmodem transfers at 115200 bps on a null modem link with 16450's at
both ends with NetBSD 0.9B. Had to use my own com driver for it to manage
that. Yes it's possible to get high speed serial transfers with NetBSD,
but not with the stock drivers.

A couple of weeks ago Frank and I did a bit of testing with this serial driver
at 115200 bps on the same null modem link but with 16550 on both ends.
Results: sending or receiving /usr/share/misc/termcap.db went without an
overflow. sending and receiving with 'find / -name "*"' running in the
background resulted in two or three overflows.

Changing the null modem cable to use com3 at irq9 instead of com2 at irq5
didn't change the result (irq9 > irq14 > irq5, where irq14 == wdintr).

Onno