Subject: Re: Serial changes 1.1-current
To: John M Vinopal <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1996 21:01:05
>Hasn't this been tagged as a interrupt issue between the com driver and
>the wd ide driver?  Could everyone with this problem confirm or deny that
>they're using IDE drives?

	Actually after a couple of months I put an Adaptec 1542B with a 340M
drive and used the IDE drives only for DOS .. I still had the problems.

	Of course, I haven't run on anything slower than a 486slc2/66 in
about a year and half with a four-byte FIFO, and only a 1542CF with some
pretty darn quick drives. No IDE involved. But sometime in the near future
I will want to set up a 386 with a small hard drive to run PPP so that I
don't have to worry about the link when I reboot to Loose'95. I'm not looking
forward to dealing with these issues when I do ..

	Actually the more recent com.c drivers just plain haven't worked AT
ALL for my modems, I had to patch in an older version to make it work. This
was discussed a while back on port-i386.. but, I haven't upgraded in about
three weeks, maybe that's changed.

	BTW, I don't mean to imply that NetBSD is therefore inferior. NetBSD
definitely ROCKS and I wouldn't run anything else. Its a GREAT product. :)

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group