Subject: Re: bidirectional serial use in 1.1?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1996 08:11:24

> Brian Buhrow (buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu) had a patch for v1.0 that allowed
> serial ports to use bi-directionally (dial-in and dial out on the same
> port).  I'm looking for some similar functionality in v1.1. I've been
> unable to reach Brian at his old email address.
>
> I have a NetBSD 1.0 uucp mail hub at a remote location with a single
> phone that I'd like to upgrade to 1.1 someday.  How are the rest of
> you with only one phone line dealing with this situation?
>
> K.T Wieringa            ktw@solaria.sol.net            Ironwood, MI

I've just completed writing a bunch of scripts that allow me
bi-directional comms - very clumsy I admit, but since I'm not up to climbing
into the serial code and drift away from the source tree it works for me :-)

The script (modified ip-up) basically copies a new ttys file,
/etc/ppp/options, etc, notifies init and then dial's out with PPP to connect
to my provider.

The cleanup script (modified ip-down) reverses the procedure and preps the
box for dail-in's - which I use to access my box from work.

Have been using it work a week now, and I *think* I've got the last bug out,
bug out, bug out 8-)

Now, if anyone can suggest how I can get the script to cycle telephone
numbers I'd appreciate it :-)

et