Subject: Re: Q about "ahc" and "ahe" (was Re: README: changes to ep driver)
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1996 11:19:48
On Wed, 1 May 1996 04:07:00 +0900
 Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp> wrote:

 > Then,
 > Should we integrate "ahc" and "ahe" driver names to one shared name "ahc" ?
 > ("ahc" and "ahe" is font-end of aic7xxx.c)
 > Or,
 > Should we leave "ahc" and "ahe" as they are ?
 >
 > The reason why I want to see this is that I (and Pete Bentley)
 > maintain new aic7xxx driver ported from FreeBSD, and have a plan to
 > SEND-PR the driver.

They should share the same name ... the "ahe" name is really a hack,
because the cfattach changes hadn't happened yet.

Really, there should be:

	sys/dev/pci/ahc_pci.c
	sys/dev/eisa/ahc_eisa.c

...and, if there is a real ISA version of the card:

	sys/dev/isa/ahc_isa.c

These files will have the cfattach structures.

The cfdriver should be in:

	sys/dev/ic/aic7xxx.c

The EISA cards (and all ahc cards that masquerade as EISA cards - c.f.
the 3c509 ISA card that masquerades as an EISA card) should be using the
standard EISA autoconfiguration code.  See if_ep_eisa.c.

Thanks!

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----